August 11, 2010

extreme makeover: my life edition

Last night I was watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. That show makes me completely bawl my eyes out and feel so lucky and blessed to have the life I do. It also makes me think.
The episode last night was a family whose 14 year old daughter, Lizzie, lived on donated blood due to a rare blood disorder that basically made the blood her body made, not work in her body. She would get two transfusions a month, and had an extremely weak immune system. Their family home had termites, black mold, snakes, and the house was sinking into the Earth which was proven by all these massive cracks in the foundation.

I watch Extreme Makeover on a regular basis (it is one of my favorite shows), but never has there been an episode that I've seen at least, with a girl that had such a bad health problem so close to my age. She was alot like me too. She loved fashion, sketching, and just looking at peoples outfits seeing how the clothes, colours, patterns, silhouettes and everything would tie together. Extreme Makeover makes me realize alot of things when I watch, but this one inspired me. It inspired me to make a list of all the things I want to do with my life to make it better, and make me a happier person. One of the things on the list: Be apart of something bigger than myself.

I was googling some habitat for humanity stuff, like volunteer opportunities. I found that there's an opportunity close to my house, that has just begun or begins in the next couple weeks. I think it'd be amazing to help build a house for someone. I love the reactions of the people when their house is unveiled, and if we're being honest I always cry. I'd love to see that in person, and know that even if it was a small part, I helped. Of course I have to talk to my parents, and if the habitat for humanity thing doesn't work, I want to commit to volunteering atleast once or twice a week. I just want to help out more, make a change even if its only to one person.

I promised myself I wouldn't be lazy this year, and actually achieve the goals I set for myself. I began with my getting healthy (eating healthy, jogs, excersise), and now I want to help out the community. If we don't help eachother out, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment