August 9, 2010

the money tree

I woke up this morning feeling extremely.... productive. First, I'm going to try my yoga dvd (after this blog post!), next I am going jogging with my friend Crystal, and THEN going to do my lemon-face wash. :) I just feel like doing a lot with my day today, so there will probably be more to that little to-do list, but that's just the basics.

I also had a little realization this morning as I was thinking and walking my dog. MONEY. I've always been one to love to go shopping, and have everything she wants. But as I'm working to save up for a car/NYC/Grad/University/Portugal, I realized that money is alot. I'm turning 17 in October, and I don't feel it's right for my parents to pay for everything I do, buy or use. In one year, I'll probably have my own place and going to school, and if I don't learn how to manage and save my money, when will I? I'm not 5 years old anymore, and I just feel horrible when my mom or dad spend alot of money on me, or even some at that. I always offer to pay back, but they almost always refuse. But still. These next few years are going to be financially difficult, because I go into University next fall, and that in itself is a ton of money. I also would like a cheap, used car which I would pay 2/3 of it myself, plus pay for my own gas and hopefully insurance depending on how much it is. Then there's the New York trip Spring Break, AND the Portugal trip next summer. All that takes alot of money, and I don't want my parents to keep spending on me, but rather save up, while I do the same thing.

I've decided that next year, I won't go back to dancing. Doing one dance alone, almost added up to 2,000. I don't want to be a dancer, or anything in the dancing feild, so 2,000 is a bunch of money. Instead I'm thinking of maybe g a gym membership. I can take classes at the gym, work out, AND it saves my parents 500-600 dollars in a year, or more I haven't crunched numbers yet. My shopping and make-up addiction can be put on pause. I just need a few fall/winter iteams, and I'll be good. I'm also thinking of getting a second job, just kind of on the side on days I have off.

This year I have to focus on money saving, and school. Hopefully I can score some scholarships to help out for post-secondary. I'm not slacking anymore. I'm going to study for my tests, do my homework, and pay attention in class. I'm going to try my hardest, and be the best I can be in courses. Relaxation is over, and I need to get into routine and good habits for university.

Anyway, that's my two-cents in a tangent today. :) Hope it made sense!
be productive,
little jay

No comments:

Post a Comment